Waikiki Beach Walk, the vibrant shopping, dining and entertainment district at Lewers Street and Kalākaua Avenue continues to offer some of the finest dining, shopping and entertainment in Waikiki. October highlights include Makalauna - an annual tribute to Gabby Pahinui and Mele Hali’a with Greg Sardinha and Friends.
(Pictured above: Lei draping at statue of Gabby Pahinui; Greg Sardinha)
Saturday, October 15: Makalauna, Annual Observance & Tribute to Gabby Pahinui
Music, hula and lei draping at to honor legendary musician Gabby “Pops” Pahinui and ‘ohana. A perpetual favorite, Pahinui’s statue graces the Waikiki Beach Walk Plaza. Scheduled to appear:
4:30 p.m. M.C. and Host Kimo Kahoano
- Ceremonial tribute, led by Entertainment & Cultural Director, Blaine Kamalani Kia
- Special Guest Kunia Galdeira (Grandson of Gabby Pahinui) will lead in the Lei Draping
5:30 to 8 p.m. Live Musical Tributes
- Jerry Santos & Kamuela Kimokeo - Featuring Kawaikapuokalani Hewett
- Mike Kaʻawa with Paul Kim & Analu Aina
- Kunia Galdeira - Special Guest "Jam Session"
- Kawika Kahiapo with Dean Wilhelm & Joe Berinobis
Sunday, October 16 – Mele Hali‘a Sunday Showcase, 5 to 6 p.m.
Greg Sardinha & Friends will headline the monthly musical showcase, on Sunday, October 16. Hawaii born and raised, Greg is a talented steel guitar player and the winner of the 2014 Na Hoku Hanohano Award for Instrumental Album of the Year for “Stainless” - Steel Guitar Stylings of Greg Sardinha. Greg Sardinha & Friends will perform traditional and contemporary Hawaiian music.